Thursday, December 9, 2010

Art Show- Cam Thompson

I really liked the art show atmosphere because the music playing in the background helped get me into the display. I ended up wandering around much longer than I expected to because there were so many great pieces. I particularly enjoyed the graphic designs section because I have a couple of friends and teammates who talked about their projects during the semester, so it was great to see what they created. The lines were so crisp and professional- something that amazes me because I don't have that kind of cool computer skill. I checked out the graphic designs print advertisements for the art show, as well. The one that stood out to me the most presented words across a blank background and paint was dripping off the bottom of each letter onto the ground. It was very simple, easy to take in, quick enough to grab a viewer's attention, and drew the viewer in closer to take closer look. I couldn't recall any of the titles from the show, just what the artist's caption describing and narrating what their piece represented.
My absolute favorite piece from the art show was the 3-part image of a girl eating cake in the bathroom (none of the images showed her head. Like the artist explained, typical awareness ads for eating disorders tend to be in your face, graphic and kind of nauseating. This piece got the same message across about the prevalence of eating disorders and how it's easy to imaging "your" face on the girl and that such problems aren't limited to just super models and public stars.
I hope to continue the Play theme I have taken from this class by trying to make more time in my life to kick back, relax and hang out with my friends. It's easy to get wrapped up in our separate lives and school work to the point of somewhat isolating ourselves and becoming slightly oblivious to the fun, childishness, or simple pleasures in our environments. From being reintroduced to Play-Doh, to having to think back on some of my favorite childhood games for the Ultimate Toy Project, the creative exercises in this class have helped to uncover some of the novelty and pleasure I used to find in everyday happenings and classic games. I hope to be able to preserve this more playful outlook on life following this class :)

No comments:

Post a Comment