Friday, December 10, 2010

Katie Clark - Art Show

1. I really enjoyed the art show, it was great to see so much talent on display for everyone to see. Not only is it good for others to enjoy viewing but it is clear that throughout the room the displayed art represents considerable time and effort, and so it is great that the artists responsible can put their name up next to their piece where recognition and credit is due. I found myself really taken in by some of the pieces, often standing for quite a while just interpreting and wondering where the ideas sprang from. The atmosphere of the room indicated that most people viewing the art as I was were also entranced as they walked around very slowly with their eyes almost glued to the walls. I can’t really speak for the other viewers but I know that as I walked out of the room I felt very in touch with my creative side, that’s one of the things I love about looking at art; Even though you are analysing someone else’s creativity, it seems to be contagious as it makes you look at yourself in a very self-reflective way. I found much of the art thoroughly inspirational.
2. It is difficult to choose one piece of art that was my favourite from the show, i liked so many for different reasons; some for their purely artistic talent, others their meaning, some cleverness and some for their impressive creativity. Two pieces that I remember which demonstrated a real flare for drawing included a picture of someone’s eyes within a sort of horizontal watercolour painting with a script reading across the page. I liked this painting because I think eyes are beautiful as they can tell you so much about a person, if you ever see any doodles on my work pages it is often of eyes. The artist of this piece drew these eyes so well that they were almost photographic. Another piece which showed a real talent for drawing was a bird’s eye view of a city scene (or something of that nature...tall buildings/shapes) with a boy sitting in the centre of it all. The use of shading to exaggerate the effect of an above view was excellent in this drawing. Another piece which caught and held my attention was the DNA strand made up of family photos, i thought this was really clever and effective. The book of idioms which included pictures such as a cashier filled with peanuts to illustrate poor wages was also very clever. In terms of getting a message across, there were two pieces which struck me; one was a photograph of a street wall from a decaying part of the city with a person in the corner holding up an umbrella to hide themselves from the camera and the other was of a faceless girl crouched at a toilet, who clearly had bulimia. In the first picture “The umbrella project”, i interpreted it as a piece of art with a real element of realism in displaying the uglier parts of life as opposed to the beautiful sunset that we may be more willing to look at. As a psych/criminology major this kind of art really interests me, as in this case a picture really does say 1000 words. In the second piece which was in the style of an advertisement to get help if you have an eating disorder, the effect of the girls face not quite being in the shot and the caption “can you picture your face here?” was really effective and I think it is good enough to be used in actual ad campaigns.
3. In order to make sure that ‘Play’ remains a part of my life, I’ll probably try to spend more time with my younger siblings when I am home and say ‘yes’ more often when they ask me if I want to play a game with them. I remember when I was about 7 years old I would dread going to Brownies (girl scouts) but once I got there I always had so much fun, I think if I learn to say ‘yes’ more often I will automatically be integrating more play into my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment