Sunday, October 10, 2010

Rachel Heck - Silhouette Project


From this project, I have discovered that I do not buy a lot of unnecessary things. I mostly buy food and health care products; items I consider to fulfill my biological needs of cleanliness and energy replenishment. The inside, or the figure, of my silhouette demonstrates the products I consume to fulfill these biological needs. On the outside, or the ground, of my silhouette I have put the brands of the technological products that I use most often. These products represent the more expensive items that I use, but also the items of which I do not own more than one at any particular time. Some of these items I did not buy directly; some were bought for me and some are items that I have been allowed
to use on a regular basis. The technological items displayed on my silhouette that I bought include my iPod, my Sony camera, and my antique sewing machine powered by Westinghouse Electric. My iPod represents my love for music whereas my camera represents my fancy for photography. My antique New Home sewing machine powered by Westinghouse Electric represents my fondness for antiques and older technological items.
As for the creative aspect and aesthetic appeal of my project, I took advantage of the shapes and colors of the products I consume to fabricate a distinctive design. The ground of the silhouette, where my technological items are displayed, is mostly composed of circles. Most of the technology brands I sue have logos of a basic circular shape. Aside from the obvious representation of the brands by their specific logos, I use the colors of the logos to color in the circles that fill the rest of the ground of my silhouette. As for the figure, or inside, of my silhouette, I used the logos of the brands of items I consume for my biological needs to create a flower shape. The Kraft and Yoplait logos were perfect for the petals of the flowers and the quadrilateral and ovular shapes of the Suave, Crest, and Clean & Clear logos made for perfect leaves, whereas the Jif and Dole logos were perfect for the construction of a stem. The rest of the inside of my silhouette is filled with yellow to represent the sunlight providing a means for the flower to grow, as well as the color of the Wal-mart flower-like symbol representing the store where I buy all of these products.

No comments:

Post a Comment