Sunday, October 10, 2010

Silhouette Project - Katie Clark


As I was gathering materials to piece my collage together, I came to realise that I am possibly the least faithful consumer imaginable...I am a nightmare of a customer! I found so many of the same type of products that I use, however often from a variety of brands. I am therefore, a bargain shopper. The inside space of my silhouette represents me and the products I am in the habit of consuming now, as a college student, while the outer space signifies the products I imagine I will use in the future, or at least ‘aspire’ to use in some cases. Despite some of the slightly pretentious products I decided to place in the future space of my collage, a deeper reflection on my piece reveals that I am not a huge fan of big brands, although it is undoubtedly nice to own a few really nice, quality products and items, I can see myself being more into ‘brandless’ products. Back home in my market town of Beverley, I would buy fruit and soap etc from the market that was set up every Saturday, I like the idea of local produce and hand-made (as opposed to large scale factories/sweatshops) items, however it was hard to find illustrative examples of such consumerism in the magazines that I had.

No comments:

Post a Comment