Sunday, October 10, 2010

Silhouette Project - Grant Lewis

For my silhouette project I decided to focus on the things I use during the week (inside the green) versus the things I use on the weekend (inside the black). I thought that this would give me an interesting point of view to see how I change as a consumer during the week as compared to the weekend. While creating this project I decided against cutting labels and advertisements out of magazines and decided to focus purely on products that I had in my room and at my fingertips so I could actually take the logos off of them. I felt that this approach would do a better job of showing me what I really use each day instead of what I think I would use or would rarely use. So since I didn't have enough logos to fill the entire page I decided to cut up two different colors of construction paper and glue them as a collage on the poster board to clearly highlight where the lines of my silhouette are. This also made the silhouette more unique and created an interesting texture throughout the entire piece.
It surprised me to find that I use more products during an average week day compared to the weekend. I think this may be due to the fact that I have a lot more to do during the week and enjoy relaxing on the weekends. I decided that many of the things I purchase are very simple and don't make much of a statement about who I am individually. I believe that you would find many of the same goods in the majority of college students rooms. However I feel that it is a good thing that all the logos and brands don't make much of a statement about who I am as an individual because I believe that these aren't extremely important or 100% necessary in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment