Sunday, October 10, 2010

Stephanie Hodgin-Brand Silhouette Reflection



My collage is meant to represent me as a consumer and as a person. The outside of the silhouette is covered in Starburst wrappers, lined up in a geometric design. The Starburst wrappers themselves serve as the consumer part of me, because they are my favorite kind of candy that I eat daily. (This made it convenient for me to find the materials for my design). But the geometric pattern also had another purpose. Though it may be hard to see without pointing it out, the wrappers are aligned to look like the music bars that jump up when someone is listening to music. This represents how I communicate with myself; listening to music. For every situation in my life, there is always a song or artist that fits in perfectly with that particular moment.


The inside of my silhouette represents the other part of me; communicating with other people. The grid of Facebook logos shows that my ideal and constant form of communication with others is that particular networking site. It's how I learn about other people, and how other people learn about me. The exclamation point in the center is taken off of the Yahoo! logo in which I communicate with other people through emailing. I decided to use just the use of the exclamation point instead of the entire Yahoo! logo to create more simplicity in the otherwise confusing and busy portrait, but also because it's a logo that everyone recognizes without having to spell it out.


Overall, my duality was that of communicating with myself versus communicating with others. While I could have used a greater amount of labels and different kinds of labels to add diversity to the portrait, I felt that it wasn't necessary to adequately illustrate my point. I think my portrait defines who I am, both on a superficial surface as well as a deeper meaning.

No comments:

Post a Comment