Thursday, September 16, 2010

Cam Thompson- 100 Acres Reflection

I enjoyed our visit to the 100 Acres Park, but my eencounter was not as interactive as the video made the experience out to be. My favorite piece was Free Basket because the beams were so dynamic, colorful and playful. It was unfortunate that we could not climb or play on them because the display begged for us to do so, like many of the other pieces. Similarly, the video showed children jumping, climbing and playing on the Funky Bones piece, but the sign that I read asked visitors to refrain from doing so. The presentation conflicted with the warning signs- why would an artist create a work of art that is so physically playful if its purpose was other than interative? While looking at Free Basket, and seeing the basketball board and hoop, I imagined bouncing a basketball off the beams, or jumping off the side of a pole while trying to score a basket. There were an unlimited possibility of playing basketball with the structure. It was a shame that most visitors like myself, probably paid too much attention to the sign asking us to refraijn from playing with the art.
The piece that most confused me was the Indianpolis Island. Not only did I find it an eye sore, but I couldn't imagine what the point of growing hydroproduce if one couldn't eat it, due to the unsafe water and environmental waste. Aslo, how did students get from the island to the shore- by boat, surely? Who got to live in the island and more importantly, who would choose to do so?

No comments:

Post a Comment