Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Stephanie Hodgin - Play-Doh and Creativity

This week's introduction of Play-Doh in the classroom was something that I was not expecting. It is such a simple concept; bringing back a childhood favorite but in the point of view of a college student. But for some reason, it was a difficult exercise for me to accomplish because I can honestly admit that I overthought my expectations. Creativity does not have to be a complex process with multiple steps and extensive thinking, it can be as simple as starting with a small ball of malleable dough, similar to that of a blank canvas in which art can be created. This is the problem with today's schooling system; administrators believe that there has to be some sort of complex answer to the creativity decline in the United States, when reality the answer is quite simple: let children use their imaginations in the classrooms to solve problems.

No comments:

Post a Comment