Thursday, March 24, 2011

Ashley - Silhouette Portrait




My silhouette project is a study on night and day. I have never been a morning person. In fact, I am quite terrible at them. I always wake up groggy and stiff, it takes me an hour just to get out of bed, and I can barely function once I do. Night time, however, is when I feel at my best. I am more creative at night, more productive, more motivated and inspired. Because I usually don't sleep very well, I have a lot of time at night to do all those things I should have done in the morning. In some ways, I feel like a divided person and that is what my silhouette reflects.

I used varying shades of solid blue to show the transition from day into night spanning from the left to the right of the background. I chose to have the silhouette face the night to depict how I “look forward” to the end of the day. The inside of my silhouette is composed entirely of patterns. I found as I was flipping through magazines that I identified much more with a combination of colors and designs rather than specific solid choices. I came to realize that I love patterns! My life and my room are full of them. I also wanted to create a similar gradient within the patterned silhouette as I did with the background, except this time in reverse. The brighter, happier patterns are towards the night sky and the darker, grumpier patterns are toward the day sky. This, again, reflects my attitudes towards that time of day. Over all, I choose to use a textured amorphous composition. I did not feel like the structure or smoothness of crisp solid lines defined me as a person. I am much closer to the scattered over-lapping elements shown here. I am a grab-bag of ideas and inspirations, just like this silhouette project!

No comments:

Post a Comment