Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Kaylin Beckwith's Silhouette Portrait


Kaylin Beckwith

PCA 261

Rao, Skinner

24 March 2011

Silhouette Project

Preparation for my silhouette project began before I even picked up scissors and cut from the first magazine. I woke up the morning before we were to be traced thinking about how I wanted the final project to appear. I decided to wear a large, flowing scarf so that it would leave a noticeable mark in my outline; likewise, I wore my hair natural and curly so that I could incorporate even more squiggly lines into my outline. These two components transform a sleek, mannequin style silhouette into a silhouette that better represents me. It is a little haphazard, just like my life seems to be most of the time. Furthermore, the only curved lines in the piece are found in the body. This is because the world is rough, full of sharp edges, and dangerous- as portrayed in my background. Moreover, I am rounded. I am organic, persevering, and ever-changing.

Beyond the outline of my silhouette, color is also a key player. The background is portrayed in dark colors. This is to metaphorically say that the world is a cold and deceiving place. Fortunately, that means that we each get to bring our own light, color, and style to whatever environment we choose. The light, color, and style you project are often related to your perspective, outlook, or attitude. I chose bright colors within myself not only because I like colors in my wardrobe, but also because I believe these lively colors reflect my personality. I chose the skin tones and hair pieces because I also see myself as a realist. Although I am constantly changing, as the different tones and hair suggest, I also remain always the same, as the overall color conveys.

Past these two basic components, the background and the body, I also added a brain. The brain is the most important of this whole piece because it could easily be filled with light or dark pieces. Everyone has a combination of negatives and positives, sorrows and laughs, triumphs and defeats in their lives, and it is up to the individual which of these two sides are on his/her mind. Admittedly, both streams of thought entertain my mind from time to time; however, positivity wins for the majority. Positivity and strength. The colors I have chosen are not only bright, but also lively and strong. The words are meant to show these streams of thought, and they leak from the brain to the mouth. This is to prove the point that anything on your mind can slip out at any time, without warning. That is why it is best to keep your mind uplifting. As shown in my silhouette, what leads to the mouth is soon leaked into the world. I believe what you say CAN change the mind of another person, and thus the life of another person, and thus the world. This image is empowering, you impact the background, the world. My silhouette conveys my dreams; I want to leave an impact.

No comments:

Post a Comment