Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Silhouette Project- Ryan Rosebrough

This project was not the most enjoyable project so far, yet it was still entertaining. We had to fill our paper with meaningful colors that were related our lives. This was hard for me as I do not know much about colors or what they mean. So as I made my project I decided to choose colors based on how they made me feel before I looked up actually color meanings. I feel like this made the project a bit of surprise and a little fun and mysterious until the end. Also, I believe art should first and foremost mean something to the artist before anyone else in most cases. So with this approach I decided to get started with my project.


The first color I chose was the color for the inside of my silhouette as I know myself very well and it would be easier to chose a color that represents me. I chose a dolphin grayish/light bluish color. To me these colors felt very calm and controlled which I feel represent myself very well. Most of my friends would say that I usually stay cool in heated situations and I am a generally laid back person. Also, I am a very controlled person in the sense that I can generally hold myself together in certain challenging situation. For the external colors, I chose orangy reds and redish oranges. To me these colors gave off a lot of energy and seemed a bit chaotic. This seemed very fitting, especially now that I am in college. There are always social activities, projects for classes, homework, reading, clubs, etc. going on and most of the time the outside world seems very chaotic. These were what the colors meant to me prior to looking up the true meanings of the colors.

After looking up what the colors truly meant, I found that red is the color of energy and vitality. This was not exactly what I had thought, but it fits perfectly in what I was trying to convey nonetheless. Orange is very similar to red in the sense that it stands for enduring vitality. It also represents a very dynamic color representing enthusiasm. Again, this is not initially what I thought or how it made me feel, but it fits very well in my project. Lastly blues represent a calm atmosphere which is exactly how it made me feel. It also represents a high ideals and solitude and peace. These were not apparent to me before I looked up the meaning and representation of the color, but now I definitely see how this is true.


I am extremely happy with how my project turned out in how I see the colors and in what the colors actually mean. The two are actually very similar which is pretty cool in my opinion. It was actually fun waiting to see what my art piece truly meant until after it was completed. It was almost as if it were two pieces in one.

No comments:

Post a Comment