Monday, March 7, 2011

Katie Zeiger- Fashion/Color Reflection


1.) From our small group discussions in class, I learned that everyone has his or her own opinion on style and fashion. A person may only wear a certain designer, brand, color, fit, or cut, depending upon their acquired preferences, comfort, public opinion, occasion, and even by the style choices of close friends, acquaintances, and family. Although many people may choose to shop in the same stores, mock styles worn by celebrities, or insist on wearing the same outfit as their closest friend, no two people have the same style. The same shirt can be worn in a variety of ways: buttoned, unbuttoned, pressed, wrinkled, lose, tailored, tucked in, and the list goes on. Little differences usually appear from one closet to the next, and definitely from one body to the next. Clothing can lie differently on my body than it does on someone else's and color can have a different effect against fair skin tones than it does against beige or olive skin tones.
Working with my group was an insightful attempt at understanding what others base their fashion choices on. A common trend in our discussion was comfort. Especially when choosing an outfit for class, the number one requirement was comfort, followed by convenience, which usually lead to choices like sweats, t-shirts, or jeans. Also, in my group, we discussed the relationship between weather, mood, and fashion. We all agreed that we are can enjoy fashion and color choice more when the weather is warm. A person is not constantly trying to stay warm (with layer upon layer) in the spring and summer months, consequently giving them more choice in their wardrobe. Since my group consisted of all girls, we agreed that we especially enjoy summer because it gives us the option to wear dresses, and not freeze as a result. Winter and fall are dark and depressing months due to the cold and less daylight. Clothing is usually darker in color and more subdued during this time of the year. We talked about not worrying so much about how we looked as we did about staying warm.
For me, I realized that I share similar opinions with others around me pertaining to comfort and seasonal choice. I realized that I like to dress up a little bit more than others at times, but that is primarily due to the fact that I find those clothes just as comfortable as sweats and I want to look put together because it helps me 'feel' more put together. I tend to lean toward solid colors when others may choose patterns and usually prefer darker pants and skirts, and lighter and brighter colors in tops, sweaters, and accessories. I generally choose brown as a neutral because it is not as harsh against my fair skin as black tends to be. I also tend to stay away from pastel colors and beige, because they tend to wash me out.

2.) The line that I came up with for Mr. Laurent is called 'Glint'. I came up with this name because I want to it to describe the customer wearing the clothes, they will be a "tiny, quick flash of light" to a passerby. The goal of my line is to be subtle, but also to be attention grabbing at the same time. It is important that the clothing highlights the natural beauty and 'light' within each person wearing it. So to promote a glow in the customer, comfort would be key, as would be looking put together. For this line, I would choose a neutral color, like brown, and accompany that with a deeper purple and a mint green. I think these colors look flattering on a variety of skin tones, and provide a mix of darker and lighter shades that go well with brown. I want my line to represent my personal likes and fashion sense. It should be laid-back, but classy, slightly preppy, feminine, soft, and simple. Also, the occasional hint of sparkle or embellishment would be encouraged, and fitting due to the name of the line. 'Glint' could be worn by high-schoolers with a more mature style through the late twenties or early thirties. This top would work perfectly because it complies with the color scheme and has some added embellishment. It could be paired with a brown skirt or sweater.

3.) In Several years, I hope to be working as a speech-language pathologist or physical therapist. These careers require mobility and interaction with the patient, so I would need to look put-together, professional, all while remaining comfortable. With this in mind, a typical work outfit would consist of a black pencil skirt, a wedge heel for additional comfort, a colorful, flowy top (tucked in), and a cardigan. An outfit suitable for play would be dark wash, straight-legged jeans, a pair of flats or sneakers(with a pop of color), a solid color v-neck t-shirt, and a cardigan. I would use accessories as a way to incorporate embellishment or shine.

No comments:

Post a Comment