Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Silouette Portrait- Mark Hirschenberger


My silhouette seems simple at first, but after looking closely it appears to be complex. This was done purposely. Picking out the colors and patterns I used for this project happened by accident. My first ideas were to pick out interesting looking colors or patterns in a magazine. I found all the normal shapes in various colors. None of these patterns or colors satisfied me. Then I noticed that there was one reoccurring pattern that appeared almost everywhere in magazines: text. By itself, text can be the most boring thing to look at. I placed the text from various magazines on an angle as the background of my silhouette. I was afraid that the text would be too noticeable from up close, but luckily enough just looks any ordinary pattern. From far away, the background looks gray because of the small black characters against the white background. I was really happy with the way this idea turned out.

I always like aquatic colors and textures when it came to pictures. To contrast the black on the white of the background, I wanted the actual silhouette to be full of rich colors. I made the bottom of the silhouette a deep, oceanic blue and made the colors gradually turn into green as the got closer to the top. It was very difficult to find the proper colors from the magazines I was using, but I feel like it turned out to be a more irregular pattern. This pattern happens to contrast the more uniform and normal pattern of the text.

Overall I tried to keep a theme of lighter colors since I usually always use a contrast of dark and light colors for art projects. I found out that I was still able to make an interesting contrast with the light colors I chose. My silhouette does not mean much to me personally; it was an interesting combination of colors that happened to turn out really interesting looking.


No comments:

Post a Comment