Thursday, March 24, 2011

Silhouette Portrait- Alison Harre

Silhouette Project

There were many factors that came into play when I was making my silhouette. First of all, my great grandmother has a lot of silhouettes around the house of all the kids in the family. I have always thought that the simplicity of silhouettes is beautiful. The black and the white contrast each other and create a piece of art. Since I thought the originality of silhouettes are so beautiful, I wanted to keep that in my own silhouette.

I knew that I wanted to make the figure more internal and have it reflect my personality. I also wanted to make the ground reflect external things that I like to surround myself with. The figure is covered in black, which symbolizes power, which is reflected in my leadership skills. If there is an overwhelming amount of black, it can result in overwhelming emotions. This represents me because I am always overwhelmed and stressed out. I have a lot of commitments, which result in an overwhelming lifestyle. I am wearing a pair of sunglasses in my silhouette, which are gold. Gold represents optimism and happiness. The reason why there is such little gold is because I am not a very optimistic person, but I am to an extent. I always seem to prepare myself for the worst in situations. I do not think that being pessimistic is a good thing, which is why the sunglasses hide it. In fashion, red is used for making statements, or to set you apart from the crowd. The red lips that I used in my silhouette are meant to represent my bold side. I like to show the unique qualities that I have and what sets me apart from others.

The ground of the silhouette is made of comic strips from the newspaper. There are many reasons why I chose the comic section of the newspaper to represent what I like to surround myself with. Since comic strips contain many different colors I wanted that to represent the diverse people that I like to surround myself with. There are many different types of people that I am friend’s with, which is displayed in the diverse colors. In addition, I wanted the comic section to show that I like to surround myself with happiness and humor. I love to be around people that can make me laugh, it helps me keep my stress under control.

No comments:

Post a Comment