Sunday, March 6, 2011

Fashion Reflection - Nicole Ehlert


In our small group discussions about our fashion sense, I learned a lot about the ways in which other people conceptualize fashion. Some members of the class had very basic designs and colors, such as button-up shirts in blue, white, and beige, while other members of the class thought more about trendy clothing designs in brighter colors. My group members, William and Carly, agreed with me that our fashion sense depends greatly on the activities that we will be engaging in on a given day. Being an athlete, Carly’s fashion tends to be active clothing with some flowy and comfortable clothes. Focusing on his career, William’s fashion sense consisted of quality pieces such as button-up shirts that could be worn in many settings. This theme fits well with my own fashion sense, because I choose clothing for the different areas of my life: professional, casual/hanging out with friends, comfortable, etc. Compared to my groupmates my style tended to be more colorful and more variable, but the idea behind it was similar to theirs.

The picture posted is of a business dress that I love and wear for professional events such as banquets or interviews. It isn’t by any means something I would wear every day, but I love to find occasions to wear it because I love the way that it is designed. It fits well with the clothing line that I developed for Mr. Laurent. My line would be named “Twenty-something” because the clothing would represent the variety of styles that young, professional, active women in their 20’s would enjoy wearing. The clothing would be fashionable, incorporate trends along with classic pieces, and would be affordable. The key colors of my line would be black, blue, gray, pink, and cream, because they are versatile and can make a statement. Hopefully, young women in their 20’s who are starting out their careers would buy the line. The dress that is pictured above would definitely be in the line, as it incorporates two of my key colors and fits the style that my line is going for: professional and classy yet fun and showing personality.

Years from now when I have established my career and am working as a marriage and family therapist, my typical work outfit will consist of a quality suit, with either a blazer and skirt or a blazer and trousers and a nice, colorful top, with business-appropriate heels and some jewelry. I will buy quality clothing that will last a long time, yet still look nice, and will get it tailored. The suits will most likely be black, gray, and tan. For play, I will probably be wearing a nice, quality brand of jeans (which I would consider too expensive right now) with cute detailed shoes and something like a button-up shirt with a cardigan or a blazer/jacket over it. My clothes for play will be more trendy and more colorful than my clothes for work, yet they will still be quality pieces.

No comments:

Post a Comment