Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Fashion/Color Reflection- Kaylin Beckwith


During our group discussion, I was intrigued by others’ sense of fashion. One person loved big bold patterns, while another enjoyed the simplistic idea of dresses, and still another enjoyed the utility value of a basic jacket. I found that I could relate to each person’s preferences; It seemed as though aspects of each person’s fashion sense could be found in my own fashion sense. For example, I do not have many items with bold patterns; however, I love to mix and match patterns in my personal style. I do not have many dresses, but on the off-occasion that I do employ a dress, I can feel the boost of positivity it gives my day. And Lastly, on most days, especially when I am just going to class or not feeling like putting much effort into my outfit, I sport a basic, comfortable jacket or hoodie as a means of utility rather than style. Each person’s personal fashion sense differed from my own; however, could easily be found intertwined with mine.

These sneakers seem to be a staple of my wardrobe in the spring, summer, and fall. They are quite simple, but utilize a fun, interesting pattern that I can contrast or compliment with whatever outfit I decide to wear; furthermore, they are comfortable, cute, and one of my favorite colors. The clothing I came up with for Mr. Laurent could be constructed all around these shoes. It would consist of striking, fun colors such as a rich yellow/gold or a pale and true robin’s egg blue, and these colors would be contrasted with the most prominent color of the line- charcoal gray. It would also hold small, intricate or simple, patterns that would often contrast each other, such as wearing a tiny floral print on a shirt with small stripes on shorts/pants. The clothing of this line would include sneakers or fun shoes such as these, in many colors or patterns; shirts, soft and loose, and often in color; sweaters, large and simple, often in dark colors; and jeans or skirts that add to the overall effect. I would also like to include several dresses that add to the collection. The name I came up with for the collection is “Sweet Comfort.” This was chosen because the fun, flirty patterns remind me of candy or ice cream in the summer- sweet. And although the outfits are fun, and diverse, they are also everyday comfortable wear-hence, comfort. I decided that women in their late teens and twenties would buy this line, perhaps even into their thirties for the more mature pieces of the collection.

As a successful Butler graduate, I would continue to wear the clothes found in my “Sweet Comfort” collection. I want to somehow work in an organization centered around children, so my work and play clothes will probably interact. In this sense, I think the line is perfect. Money will simply allow me to expand my choices into finer pieces than that which are currently available to me. On days where I am in the office or giving a presentation, I will have to leave my collection and wear more professional and rigid clothing such as pencil skirts and heels; nonetheless, I will still keep it comfortable and loose by adding an oversized sweater or something of the sort. On days where I am with the children, I may not want to wear my favorite pieces from the collection; however, instead I will wear jeans and a basic Tee or top, in order to be an active participant in whatever activities are going on. In this way, my collection will simply be dressed up or down according to my daily plan, making it a truly compatible and practical collection of clothing.

No comments:

Post a Comment