Friday, April 22, 2011

Art Show- Carly Sobolewski

I was excited to go to the art show because one of my favorite things to do is to find inspiration from others' creative ideas. I was there for close to an hour reading all the explanations and looking at the pieces displayed and wish I could have stayed longer. I love that it was student work, and particularly students from Butler because I could in some cases, look at their art and learn more about that person and what they value. I also think it was really cool how many different methods and materials were showcased. Pretty much all aspects of art were covered (photography, sewing, painting, drawing, sculpture, posters/graphics, etc.). I really liked the massive stuffed animals and might pay ten dollars for one. However the work that I would definitely consider paying ten dollars for would be any of the pieces by Laura Kramer. I found her cut-out magazine designs with the black backgrounds to be really pretty and something that I could see myself hanging in my room. She used materials that she'd stashed away from the past and that meant something to her. I just thought it was a really cool concept and it's one of those works that make me think, "I wanna try that." I thought the how-to books were really well made and comical as well. Having my artwork in the show made me feel proud and honored. I usually keep my art to myself and don't openly display it but this opportunity made me feel like I could really show people what I could do. I felt like my pieces held their own among the others and I'm glad that others may have been inspired by them. As for Butler having an art show I think it is a fantastic event that should be an annual occurrence forever. There are so many creative students. I see art as something that anyone can have fun doing and learn from, even if art is not their major or even a hobby. The show is something that anyone can appreciate and find something to relate to. I believe that event is one that will grow over the years and just become greater and greater. No two shows will ever be the same because no two people think alike, express themselves in the same ways, or have lived through the same experiences.

No comments:

Post a Comment