Monday, April 11, 2011

Sculpture - Nicole Ehlert



The spatial property that inspired my sculpture was “rocking”. In my mind, “rocking” leads me to think about things that are round. Therefore, I decided to do a set of progressively smaller circles and fastened them together using strips of cardboard to form a bowl. The end result is a dish that can hold my keys, clutch, and phone on my desk and can help control clutter and help me to know exactly where to find these items when I need them. Since beginning this project I have begun to pay more attention to other things that “rock”. Of course the most obvious of these are rocking chairs, which come in many forms. I’ve also thought of rocking horses, swings, and other objects constructed artfully that rock back and forth. Rocking objects are somewhat scarce due to their nature because they inherently prohibit things from staying stable and stationary. Therefore, most rocking objects are made that way intentionally to serve a purpose. For some objects, that purpose is to provide an artistic version of other everyday objects – such as my key/phone holder for my desk.

No comments:

Post a Comment