Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Milk Project- Kathryn Graham




Upon being presented with a Request for Proposal to develop a brand name and packing for a new milk line from Melvin Meyers at Moo-Moo Milk Makers, I was shocked and horrified. I was unsure where to start, considering I HATE milk! Putting my feelings aside I jumped right in with researching the target market and found that the target market we are trying to reach are men and women over the age of forty-five. This target market tends to be conscious of their health when it comes to purchasing and consuming food and drink products. In order to meet the target consumer’s needs I wanted to let them know the product was both organic and had the recommended doses of Calcium, Vitamin D, and Zinc for their age group with out being offensive. To reach this goal I chose to simply provide the consumer with a small statement of the organic nature of the product on the front of the bottle along with a brief summary on the back of the bottle detailing the benefits of consuming this milk. The message on the back also allows the consumer to connect with the company’s goals for the product, producing a consumer/producer relationship. As for the design of the bottle I wanted to hold the milk, I chose to modernize the retro milk bottles from the 1960’s. By doing so I took a familiar and loved object from the target market's era and provide a loving memory of the past and fast forwarded it to the present for consumers allowing them to remember those good old days each and every time they purchase a bottle or drink from one. As for the material of the bottle I selected plastic instead of glass. I chose this because as people age they can become clumsier and more prone to dropping items. In this instance, there is no glass bottle to break and no potential harm to consumers from breaking glass. As for the logo and slogan I chose once again to appeal to the target market's childhood. The brand name I came up with is Dairy Delight, which gives the consumers a more positive experience when purchasing milk. When deciding on a logo for the product I wanted a retro milkman on the front in black and white. Having the image in black and white gives the bottle a more sophisticated feel along with appealing to the memory of the neighborhood milkman dropping off milk each day to your milk chute or back porch. The colors I would use in the designs across the bottle will be purple and black. It will give the packaging a classy, sophisticated feeling along with appeal to both genders. After researching some helpful information I found out that the color purple increases preference for a product as a woman ages and black appeals to both target markets. I feel by choosing these design details I developed a highly visible and sought after product that will be purchased by many in the target market.

No comments:

Post a Comment