Sunday, April 24, 2011

Art Show Reflection- Mark Hirschenberger

I did not have high expectations for the art show on campus last week. This is mainly because the student art shows that I have been to so far were not impressive or entertaining. The recent art show on campus exceeded my expectations. I was very impressed at blown away by some of the student works. There was so much imagination and effort that went into the art that was displayed. The show made me realize how creative Butler students are. My favorite piece of artwork that was displayed was a bridge/wave shape that was made out of yogurt containers and protein drink containers. I thought it was interesting because it related to the first project we had to do in class: do something with to objects in which you can put another object inside of. It was also interesting to see an art student use something other that the traditional art materials to make their work of art. If I had the spare room, I would buy this piece of artwork. However, the value of it probably exceeds $10. But if there was one piece of art at the show that I would buy for $10, it would most likely be one of the ad posters from the different decades. The most interesting ad poster was the one from the 1960s. The ad displayed a picture of Mr. Potatohead and was an advertisement for toys. The artist designed the advertisement with the psychedelic style in mind. I liked the poster a lot because I am a huge fan of trippy and psychedelic artwork. It was interesting to see something rather normal like a Mr. Potatohead to ad in a psychedelic style. After I saw the different ad posters, I wished to myself that I could have the same talent as these art students that were able to display their work. That's when I realized that my work WAS displayed in the art show. I almost didn't notice my class's artwork at the show because I was displayed next to other art student's artwork. This made me feel like I accomplished something major. I am not even an art student, yet I was able to have my work displayed next to other artists for people to look at. After feeling these emotions and being captivated by the artwork of other students, I became really appreciative of the art show's presence on campus. I hope that we can have more in the future so that others can be able to experience what I did when I entered the art show.

No comments:

Post a Comment