Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Milk Product - Radha Patel


When we first received this project in class, I had no idea what I would be doing for this project. It was so different from the rest of the projects, but it made sense with what the class was meant for. When I first entered the class I thought it would be about designing different products in a way that would make them aesthetically pleasing. Instead it surprised me that we did two different silhouettes, a public art group project and a sculpture. This project was something similar to what I was expecting and also the hardest for me.

The first day I actually sat down to think about the project, I started off by trying to figure out a good brand name for it. At first I had no idea. I couldn’t think of anything original. I came up with “Milky Way,” but I didn’t like that very much because it was already the name of a candy bar. Then I decided to maybe change the name to “Milky J” where the “J” stands for jug, but I didn’t think that would come across very well. Finally, I decided to call it “Milk Mug” because when people usually think of buying milk, they think of buying a milk jug, but this would be milk in a container shaped like a real mug. I had to think hard about the material this mug would be made out of and came to a conclusion that it is best if we stick to plastic since I’m sure milk stays longer and the best in that.

This was an adult beverage; therefore I thought the mug-shaped concept would go well because many adults drink coffee in the morning, but instead, now they could drink milk. The mug would be fairly big, which is why I put a small opening on the top for them to either be able to pour it, or if they could, drink it from the container. As you can see, it says “drink or pour” above the opening. My next obstacle was what colors to make the container. At first I thought I should do normal colors like blue, black or white, but then I decided to do pink, brown, white and gray. I wanted to do brown, pink and white because those are the colors of the kinds of milk my brand name would sell. The milk could either be regular, strawberry flavored or chocolate flavored. The mug could go along with either kind of milk; only the top white strip would either be white, pink or brown depending on what kind of milk it is. On the drawing it is white.

I put a slogan, a unique logo, the nutrition facts and the manufacturer’s information, but it still looked very plain. That was when I decided to add the cow on the side of the mug. I made the color of the cow coordinating with the whole mug. I made the spots in the logo and the cow gray because I didn’t think black went well with brown. I think the cow gives it a little more artistic touch and makes it a little less boring even thought it is a drink for adults.

As a result, I had a very good time doing this project even thought a lot of thought went into it about details. I was short on some art supplies, but everything worked out pretty well in the end. I actually really like what I have to offer in this project because it may look like it is easy to design something, but it is not. It takes a lot of thinking and time. Now I just hope Melvin Meyers likes my design also.

No comments:

Post a Comment