Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Marissa Nora Kampe- Milk Design






The first few words I thought of when I began this project were “strong”, “sophisticated”, “active”, “stable”, and “healthy”. It is based off these words that I began my project and started forming ideas. I originally thought of using a wine bottle of some sort for the container, because it signifies elegance and class, however, thinking about it further, people who are active and constantly doing something would not want to be carrying a wine bottle of milk about, plus uncorking a wine bottle takes more effort and time than taking the top off a normal milk carton. I wanted my container design to be convenient and easy, like a normal milk container, but also something familiar. I eventually decided on a glass mason jar. I wanted to use class because sustainability, recycling, and being able to reuse things is something important in today’s society and I felt that glass is more readily reusable and recyclable than plastic. My dad was the reason I rethought the wine bottle idea. He is an active adult over 45 who drinks milk regularly and he told me flat out that he would not drink milk out of a wine bottle. That might just be his style, and he is just one person, but it brought up a good point about ease of use. On the mason jar, the top is easily removable and there is a handle on the side so that people can drink straight from it, or pour it into a glass.

The brand name is “Pure Gold”. I originally had “White Gold”, then realized that that was the name of the advertisement for the milk campaign in California. I wanted the word “gold” in the title because it signifies that it is the best, first place, that nothing else can beat it. I also wanted to use the word gold because it can symbolize power, stability, enduring, strength, and good fortune. Then I used the word pure, because when I think pure, I think organic, natural, and healthy. So “Pure Gold”, or “organic strength”. The slogan I’m using for it is, “Make your golden age…well, golden” because the way it is said and stated it is more of an of course you want to be the healthiest and in your prime right now. Like, OF COURSE you want to make your golden age “golden”. For the nutrition facts, I made sure to highlight what a high source of Calcium, Vitamin D, and Zinc the new milk product is. As well as with the ingredients, I tried to highlight how natural it is by having the only ingredient as “MILK”.

The colors were difficult for me to choose. On my first mason jar I designed I had a lot of purple and pink and navy and gold and just a lot of colors that, though it looked cool, seemed to be more geared to my age group. So I decided to go with a cleaner, more sophisticated look. I chose dark blue and blue, with gold accents as the colors in a slanted wrapped pattern, because I did research and I looked up what was the most common favorite color for that age range and it said blue. I used gold because the brand title has the word gold in it. In all, I enjoyed this project because it challenged me and make me rethink and go beyond my first ideas.

No comments:

Post a Comment