Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Art Show Reflection - William Lamar

My overall impression of the art show was that people made some really great art pieces. There were many different types of artwork, it was interesting to see how different people interpreted different styles of artwork in their individual pieces.

My favorite artwork came in the form a colorful cookbook bound by thread. I was immediately drawn to this particular piece of artwork because the cover was full of color and the thread bindings were interesting. Inside, there were colorful pictures of the finished product, along with detailed descriptions of how to prepare the food. The book seemed to flow very well, there was a logical order to the different food products. I was really amazed at the high quality paper used, along with the thread bindings. The outer cover was thick paper, so the cookbook should last a really long time through several generations. This particular piece reminded me of a typical cookbook that people could easily add on to as time goes on. The thread bindings make it possible for people to add more and more recipes that they think are really great so that future generations can cook the same food. This is the main piece I would consider buying for $10 because it will last for so long, the high quality, and it can be passed down to future generations.

Student art is very important at Butler for several reasons. Some people create art for the sake of art, while others make it for economic profit or for a class. Most of the projects in the show seemed to require a lot of thought and a lot of effort. Many seemed like they would have been made without the prompting of a class. Art has many different meanings, at Butler it is important to see different perspectives on all aspects of life. Having my artwork displayed was a unique experience, I have never really had my artwork displayed in an art show before. It was interesting to see all of the silhouette projects side by side, and to compare and contrast the varying techniques used by my classmates, and how they related to my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment