Monday, April 11, 2011

Sculpture - Ryan Rosebrough


My group’s theme was “cantilever”. Prior to this sculpture I had no idea what this term meant so it was exciting trying to take on a new challenge. It was hard to brainstorm ideas in the beginning but finally after much tribulation I had (what I believe to be at least) a really solid idea. The definition of cantilever is as follows: A projecting structure, such as a beam, that is supported at one end and carries a load at the other end or along its length. With this in mind I set out on my cardboard adventure.


My idea was to create a cup spilling out its contents into a puddle— the stream of “liquid” and the cup being the projecting structure and the puddle/splash being that which supports the load of the structure. The entire sculpture is jagged with very very few curved lines whatsoever. This is because when I think of cardboard I think of rigidity and I wanted to preserve and portray the prominent aspect of the material in which I was using to create my sculpture. So throughout my project, straight edges and corners dominate the piece. Color is also somewhat important in my piece. The cup (as you can see in the picture to the left) is painted red. I wanted this to symbolize a heart. The contents of this cup, or heart, are spilling out as if somebody came along and knocked it over. I feel that this piece entails the common “love story” that is seen in many movies and novels today. The sculpture is in media res as it is in the action of overflowing. The story is simple and tells the story of every heart. The heart is full of emotions and feelings that are waiting for that one special person who has the ability to “tip the cup” which allows all of those feelings to come out. This is exactly what I tried to portray in my work.


My piece is a symbol of a heart that found new, true love and that is pouring out its emotions. I hope that anybody can connect with this piece as I believe this act is one of the most beautiful acts of mankind and humanity.

No comments:

Post a Comment