Monday, April 25, 2011

Art Show Reflection- Alison Harre

WOW! The art show was so great, I even went twice! The first time I went by myself and I was looking at a lot of the artwork to see if I knew any of the artists. I thought it was really exciting to recognize the different people and their creations, especially if it was someone I knew. The second time I went with another person and I really started to pay close attention to the art work itself, regardless of the artist. There were so many different kinds of work at the art show, but I did like how all of the classes were grouped together so you could figure out some kind of theme for that overall class. I never knew that there were so many talented artists at Butler!

Probably one of my favorite pieces was the candy that looked like stained glass. I remember the first time I saw it I thought that it was just stained glass, which is one of my favorite styles of art. As a kid, my mom would always take me to glass sales and glass blowing shows. I always thought those types of creations were so original, colorful, and intricate. This persons creation sparked all of those qualities when I first saw it. Since I restrained myself from touching the artwork, I'm not sure if it was actually candy or if that was just the name. I would most definitely pay $10 for this artwork, probably more. That type of glass work is very difficult to learn how to do and create. This type of art work is timeless. It can be used in a window or as a picture; the possibilities are endless.

It was really weird to have my art work displayed. I have been in many art classes before in high school, but when they were displayed no one really noticed them. The art work was simply put throughout the hallways and no one really noticed them. In this case, there was an entire preview of all of the artwork throughout Butler! When I was walking around the Art Show friends that I knew would ask me why I was in there, or if I had any art work. It was a different feeling when I had to point out my artwork when I was so used to not having any one pay attention to mine. Overall, my friends were very impressed by my art work, and the meanings behind my work. I felt like my art was in an actual museum for everyone to see. It actually felt pretty special, even though my first reaction was weird, but that is just because of the unfamiliarity.

No comments:

Post a Comment