Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Sculptural Art Project- Ali Harre


My groups topic was "twist." When contemplating twist I continued to think about the motion that everyone makes when they attempt to describe the motion of twist. Typically when you think of twist, cardboard doesn't come into mind, but I guess you have to work with what you have. I couldn't think of many actual objects that twist in the world besides a spiral staircase so I was left to come up with objects that might make a twisting motion. I started creating a twist like object with parallelogram-shaped cardboard pieces. I was layering them on top of one another making it into a twisting circle. This lead me to the idea of making a graduation hat. Typically graduation hats aren't twisted when you look at them, but the best part of any graduating ceremony is the hat toss. Graduation hats all twist when you throw them in the air. I captured this motion my making the base (the part that goes on top of your head) into a twist to represent the motion of the hat moving through the air. Once the idea came into mind it wasn't very difficult to arrive at the ending product. I think I took a very creative and unexpected approach to the project. Congrats!

No comments:

Post a Comment