Tuesday, April 26, 2011

"Restore" Milk Project - Nicole Ehlert






When I first think of milk, I think of something that is so basic that it hardly gets thought about at all. Perhaps this is why when I first received this assignment I drew a blank for the longest time. Having had no training in marketing or design previous to this class, I didn’t know how to begin to create a campaign for milk for a specific target market. However, after my mind had some time to process the task, I began to be inspired.

In my mind, or at least in my family, men and women over 45 tend to have a feeling of nostalgia for the ways of life when they were younger as well as either a slower pace of life or a desire for a slower pace of life. In addition, they are very conscious of their health as well as the environment. Finally, they tend to have a higher disposable income to spend on more quality versions of things they enjoy on a regular basis, such as milk. From these thoughts I envisioned a product label inspired by the very simple and natural origins of milk: a pasture. I found a picture that used the soothing colors of blue and green to show a farm scene with cows grazing happily in nature. I then carried out the color scheme by incorporating a blue background. Overall, I tried to keep the design simple and natural because this is a message that I want my customers to see. I included a table of nutrition facts to inform the customer of the numerous health benefits of the milk.

My brand name for this new Moo-Moo Milk Makers drink is “Restore”. I wanted to choose something that would appeal to the target market of individuals over 45 in many ways, so that they can interpret it how they will. In essence, the concept of restoration can be applied to their health, their energy, their nostalgia for old memories, or their desire for a more natural product. To convey this message even more strongly to my audience, I included a short message of situations that they might be able to relate to in which they could reach for a bottle of “Restore” to help them relax and regain control of their lives, finishing with the sentence “You’ve been restored”. Also on the front of the label with the brand name I included a slogan: “Organic… like it should be.” My customers will understand that this high-quality milk is all-natural and healthful, like they remember it being in their childhood. I also included the “USDA certified organic” stamp as well as the universal recycling sign to show that the brand is environment-conscious as well.

The packaging of my product is a sleek, standard, 20 ounce glass bottle which sends a message to my target market that this milk is of high quality and can be comparable to the milk that they used to love that the milkman delivered in their childhood. This isn’t just any kind of milk, it’s something that you can count on to restore you because of its high quality.

No comments:

Post a Comment