Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Katie Zeiger- Sculpture


My sculpture symbolizes the spatial property "balance". When I first began to look up pictures associated with the word balance, I saw scales, people with their arms out to their sides, balance beams, and acrobatics, and teeter totters. I thought all of these were interesting, but I was most intrigued by a picture of rocks leaning and stacked in order to create the ultimate balance between one another. This is where I got the idea for my project, I would cut out the pieces of cardboard and create a structure that would first balance by itself before gluing the pieces in place. The longer, thin piece that is balanced somewhat horizontally along the top of the sculpture reminds my of both an balance beam and a person finding balance by raising their arms out to their side. This piece was the most difficult to balance, and although it is not parallel to the ground, it was completely balanced at that location, showing that balance is not necessarily perfect or predictable. Also, I painted the pieces of cardboard that I used because the color green symbolizes balance, as green is representative of new balance in nature. Balance applies to life because it is usually something we strive for, mentally, emotionally, or physically. Balance, like our lives, is always changing and results in a new point of stability. Sometimes, in the absence of balance, things can be unsettling or stressful until we regain our footing and stability.

No comments:

Post a Comment