Monday, April 25, 2011

Kaylin Beckwith Milk Product


Kaylin Beckwith

Rao, Skinner

Final Project

26 April 2011

PT Milk

For our final project, we were asked to create an innovative and original product design for Moo Moo Milk Makers adult milk beverage. In order to do this, I first considered the adult age group. What type of milk are they used to? What associations do they make with milk products? Furthermore, what type of design best reaches this audience? After several prototypes, the answers to these simple questions led me to me final design.

The adult age group was to consist of individuals forty-five years of age and older. This means that they were born in the nineteen sixties or even earlier. Not being of that era myself, I tried to think of what American pastimes were present. Maybe I have simply watched too many episodes of Leave it to Beaver, but it seems to me that the 40s, 50s, and 60s emphasized friendliness and quality much more than today. It was not about doing something the easiest or most convenient way, it was about doing it right. I then remembered that milk used to be delivered door to door by a neighborhood milkman. Subsequently, I thought of all the jokes that older people tell about milkman and housewife rendezvous; and of course, the offspring that resulted of these rendezvous. Fathers used to joke that they did not know if the kids were theirs, or the milkman’s.

That is why my product is named PT Milk, for Paternity Test. This is meant to be a joke that only people of an older generation will understand. I realized that I had achieved my goal when I explained to friends my design and they had never heard of such a thing. One girl even called it “outlandish.” However, when I called my parents, they laughed for a good ten minutes. Also, that is not all that my product stands for. It has a joke that is a funny touch, and the slogan even goes with it, but the slogan also speaks for the quality that the older generation remembers and seeks in products today.

Quality is spoken for in the slogan (“The quality milk you remember, without the milkman!”), but it is furthermore supported in the labels underneath the Nutrition Facts. These series of labels not only mean that the milk is certified organic, but also that the cows were not injected or fed with any hormones. These are very important in not just advertizing quality, but actually providing it as well. The shape of this bottle was employed to represent the old fashioned shape of milk bottles while still being made of plastic in order to be easily recycled. Lastly, the brand name, Nutrition Facts, certifications, and company address are all given on a simplistic and organized label in order to be simple to read, easy to understand, and attractive to older consumers. People of this age are not interested in bells and whistles, they are interested in quality. And that is exactly what my product offers.

No comments:

Post a Comment