Sunday, April 24, 2011

Katie Zeiger- Art Show Reflection

I really enjoyed taking a walk through the art show. It was very insightful and refreshing due to this campus not having much artwork on display most of the time. Seeing all of the different ways that people approach art and express their creativity are really interesting to me. Looking at all of the different projects, no two were exactly alike, and that is what makes art so special. I had the chance to see the art show last semester, and it was also very impressive. However, from what I remember, this year's show was slightly bigger and better than the last. The variation among projects was the thing that most impressed me. The shelter projects were incredible, but have a different appeal than painting, sculptures, photography, and drawings (also amazing). It is very cool to see all of the different styles of expression and approaches to art. A show like this is important because it shows that art can be found in many places and can be quite unexpected. Some things that stuck out to me were the numbered project series, the masks, the black and white series of photographs, the colored eyes, the 3-D tree made of magazines and cardboard, the furniture, and the shelters. For $10 I would be willing to by the chair that was crafted from an open suitcase. It had cylindrical concrete legs, and was given cushions. I liked that the suitcase was retro-looking, and seemed to be getting a "second chance" and a new purpose. The idea was creative and I thought the project looked well put together and attractive (not to mention it was made by a girl that lives down the hall from me).
It was nice to see my own work in the show because it gives me a sense of pride and accomplishment. Having people approach me to tell me that they were impressed with what I had done really meant something to me. I think that the art show allows students to see what amazing things their peers can do and how creativity can manifest itself in a variety of ways among the student populous a Butler. The Art show is important because it could spark interest in taking a course or trying something new. It gives students the opportunity to display their talent and hard-work for others to see, and maybe even the chance to sell some pieces too. The show provides an outlet for recognition, not only for students, but for the university's growing art program as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment