Monday, April 25, 2011

Milk Product- Ryan Rosebrough

When this project was first assigned, it seemed very daunting; however, as time passed the milk project seemed more and more manageable. After the first couple of days, ideas started to come to me and I began to pick up inspiration from products and items around me. Once I began to draw my ideas and sketched on paper, things became fluid and I rarely hit a hitch in my designing.


As I began designing, I paid close attention to the target audience. The thing that kept coming to my mind was when I thought of the target age group was the famous cartoon Tom & Jerry. In these cartoons, the classic “milkman” made common appearances in the episodes. The milkman would come and deliver glass bottles of milk to the house in which Tom and Jerry lived. During the time of this cartoon, members of the target audience were children most likely watching this cartoon. Milk was still classically delivered to each house and the idea of milk delivery was reinforced through this cartoon as well. From this I thought it would be a good idea to bring a nostalgic approach to my design by using glass bottles.



The next idea that I had was to incorporate the milkman’s attire into the milk bottle in some way. Through scribbling ideas out on paper I decided that I would give each individual milk bottle a fabric bowtie around the “neck” of the bottle. Along with this, the milkman hat is also a keystone feature of the milkman. For this I decided to emboss the hat on the front of the bottle and as I like the idea of incorporating a sense of touch to my product. When the consumer feels the embossed logo on the glass bottle, they will connect this feeling to my product. I decided to use this as my company logo.



To add a twist on the traditional round glass shape, I decided to make the bottles have edges. My inspiration for this came from the Naked Juice bottles that I see in C-Club. The idea of changing the traditional shape of packages is appealing to me as I feel it make products stand out among the crowd. I also decided to give my bottles a foil cap similar to those on Danimals Drinkable Yogurt which is precisely where my inspiration for this idea came from. The foil caps would be color “coded” similar to how cartons of milk are already (red= whole, green= skim, etc.).



My next challenge was to design some type of packed for my glass bottles. I was stumped… completely stumped. I had no clue what I was going to do until my room walked in with a new pair of shoes. I know this may seem odd, but the lid of the shoebox was perfect for packaging by milk bottles in a unique fashion (it is extremely hard to explain but hopefully I can make some type of visual aid for this). This package would be white and black with cow spot designs on it and the brand name across the front. The nutrition information would be contained on the back and the address would be contained on the side. Each package would contain four bottles of milk.



Lastly, the four main features that are important to this milk must be displayed in one way or another. These features are as follows: organic, vitamin D, calcium, and zinc. Since there are four health features and 4 bottles per package, it made sense to have each bottle contain a unique feature somewhere on the bottle. For this, I decided to print these health attributes on the back of the bottles (which one can see in my sketches).


After adding all of these ideas up and putting them together, I had created my very own unique milk product which I spent a massive amount of time on. I would like to introduce everyone to my new product— The Milkman’s Best.

No comments:

Post a Comment