Saturday, April 23, 2011

Lori Andriot- Art Show Reflection

I was surprised by how much I enjoyed the art show. It could have been because I felt that I was a part of this one, but during the previous one I was not as invested. When I say that, I mean that unlike this time where I took my time to walk around and see everything that was around me, during the first semester show I just perused on through and went on my merry way. There was something different about this show however, and like I said it could have been the fact that I was actually a part of it, however I believe that what drew me into this one was, understanding how much time artist put in to being a part of something like this. For example I cannot imagine the time that was put into the yogurt lounge chair, and that of course was definitely one of the first things that caught my eye in the show, mainly due to its magnitude and what it was crafted of. After getting over that initial shock I made my way up to the front of the show and found the black and white photographs that truly spoke to me. I remember reading the artist description of her work about how she felt like an old soul and how she felt disconnected from the modern world, and that spoke to me like no other piece of art there. These pieces are definitely something that I would actually pay more than $10 for, I could actually see them being something that I kept around for quite some time. But I also think that what I like about these pictures most is that I could see myself taking something like this. When I did darkroom photography in my high school, my teacher knew me for my high contrast and that’s what I REALLY loved about these photos. Aside from my love of these photos, I really would also pay for the “Painted Windows” series. I thought that these photos as well were beautifully taken and also held true meaning. Which makes me wonder what it was like for these artists to show the world something so dear to them, for me I was a little apprehensive about the whole thing. I really didn’t see what I had done as art but now that I look back on it, I’m proud of what I’ve achieved and I was proud to show it to my roomie when she wanted to know what else was mine, aside from the boat. And you can call me conceited, but I really liked it when someone would text me and congratulate me on my work, it made my day. And overall, I really enjoyed being a part of not only this art show, but also of this class.

No comments:

Post a Comment