Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Brand/Package/Label Project - Lauren Bacon


As I'm sure Dr. Skinner already knows, this type of project is a dream project for me. If I could have, I would have dedicated all of my energy into developing a new brand, the strategic plan, and implementation. However, to keep my sanity and to be able to balance my other courses, I limited myself. So, the first step I took was to narrow my target market and do some research. I first focused on Baby Boomers. This generation was born between 1946 and 1964. This year, the youngest will turn 47. Less of this generation is considering completely not working upon retirement, leaving 89% to still continue to hold a job. Additionally, this generation is becoming more tech-savvy with 82% using the Internet. Moreover, they held most of the nation's discretionary income in 2009 with almost 3 trillion dollars (Miller & Washington, 2011, pp. 205-206). After reading more about the generation, I chose to focus on upper-middle to upper class individuals who are cultured, stylish and young at heart.

My first idea was to separate males and females and do a "his & hers" type milk with color coding, although the same logo, but with different tag lines. After drawing up a few sketches of color schemes, I could not think of an appropriate name. So I thought back to my target market and chose to focus on the young at heart aspect. This brought me to the idea that this generation is aging, and some would prefer to slow the process, which reminded me of the Fountain of Youth, or FOY. However, this sounded too much like soy, so I tabled that idea as well and thought of words that seemed related to the Fountain of Youth. The word elixir is associated with potions or mixtures to provide or conserve youth. Then I decided to focus on the color white and went with Ivory Elixir. However, this reminded me of Ivory soap, so I decided to play with other languages. I settled on French because French culture has a fashion forward, chic, classy culture coupled with the old European style. Thus the name Elixir d'Ivoire was born. I chose a deep red and gold [it looks yellow in the drawings, but would actually be metallic gold] paired with black because it looks high class and catches the eye. I Googled French fonts and found the font I chose for the logo. I decorated the glass bottle with two French symbols = a fleur de lis and the Eiffel Tower. The tag line is "Who knew milk could be so chic?" playing into the idea that this milk is cool. This will be a more expensive brand, but since the target market has a large amount of discretionary income, they will not mind paying the premium. Moreover, they will appreciate the perception that the milk is "cultured" since it has dominant French aspects. Finally, this milk will be sold in larger cities, where people like to stay on trend and are more open-minded.

Works Cited
Miller, R.K., & Washington, K. (2011). CHAPTER 38: BABY BOOMER CONSUMERS. In, Consumer Behavior (pp. 205-207). Richard K. Miller & Associates. Retrieved from EBSCOhost.

No comments:

Post a Comment